The team at the Sunshine Coast Medical Weight Loss Centre offers experienced, professional surgical solutions for losing weight.
Since 1998 we have performed over 3,000 bariatric surgical weight loss procedures. We pride ourselves on our continuity of care, looking after you from the initial assessment, through the operative and peri-operative phase and - just as importantly – long term follow-up care after your operation.
The Sunshine Coast Medical Weight Loss Centre is a general surgical practice that provides consultative and operative services in the areas of General, Laparoscopic, Gastrointestinal and Bariatric surgery.
A laparoscopic band or sleeve is a procedure that gives you a powerful tool to gain control over your weight.
It’s a physical and medical restriction to your stomach that also works on your nerves and gut hormones, sending your brain signals to decrease your hunger and reduce your appetite.
Dr Baxter is a general surgical practice that provides consultative and operative services in the areas of General, Laparoscopic, gastrointestinal and Bariatric surgery. Our pledge is that each patient is treated with warmth and respect and to provide them with the highest quality of surgical care during their episode of care with us. We understand that undergoing surgery can be very stressful and we want our patients to be well informed about their disease processes and treatment options.
We believe that weight loss surgery is about creating a better, healthier you. A laparoscopic band or sleeve is a procedure that gives you, a powerful tool to gain control over your weight. It’s a physical and medical restriction to your stomach that also works on your nerves and gut hormones sending your brain signals to decrease your hunger and reduce your appetite.
Dr Ian Baxter
I am a general surgeon with a particular interest in the upper gastro intestinal system. This has led me to weight loss surgery and the formation of the Sunshine Coast Medical Weight Loss Centre. It involves a multi-disciplinary team whose focus is to get you to lose weight and maintain your weight loss and provide support and help with your change in lifestyle modification. Our goal is to provide each patient with support and care with your weight loss journey. I am a general surgeon with extensive experience in laparoscopic gastro intestinal surgery but particularly with the gallbladder surgery, anti-reflux surgery and hernia surgery and have had some twenty years’ experience with endocrine surgery.
Brief Curriculum Vitae
- 1999 to present: Private upper gastrointestinal, bariatric and endocrine surgery practice on the Sunshine Coast.
- 2002-2012: Chairperson for the Surgical Services Committee, Sunshine Coast Private Hospital.
- 1999- 2005: Visiting Medical Officer. General Surgeon, Nambour General Hospital
- 1999 – 2002: Younger Fellow Committee, Royal Australian College of Surgeons and representative of the QLD Branch, RACS.
- 1999: Established private practice at The Sunshine Coast Private Hospital, Buderim.
- 1998: Director of Surgery, QEII Hospital, Brisbane.
- 1997: Fellow in upper gastro-intestinal surgery, endocrine surgery, hepatic and pancreatic surgery, Royal Infirmary Hospital, Edinburgh.
- 1996: Diploma in laparoscopic surgery, University of Strasbourg.
- 1996: Senior Registrar at Royal United Hospital, Bath, UK, with training in endocrine and upper gastrointestinal surgery.
- 1989 – 95: Advanced surgical training in general surgery, based at the Royal Brisbane Hospital.
- 1986 – 89: Basic surgical training at Royal Brisbane Hospital.
- 1980 – 86: University of Queensland, graduated MBBS 1986.
- Australian Endocrine Surgeon Association
- ANZGOSA-Australia & New Zealand Gastro Oesophageal Surgery Association
- OSSANZ-Obesity Surgery Society of Australia & New Zealand
- General Surgeon’s Australia (GSA)