Dr. Ian Baxter
Dr Baxter is general surgeon with a particular interest in the upper gastro intestinal system.
This led to an interest in Bariatric Surgery (weight loss surgery) and the formation of the Sunshine Coast Medical Weight Loss Centre.
This centre involves a multi-disciplinary team whose core focus is to support and assist you through the weight loss process. The team’s goals are to enable patients to maintain their weight loss and improve one’s wellbeing, physical health and self-image.
Dr Baxter is a general surgeon with extensive experience in laparoscopic gastro intestinal surgery; specifically hernia surgery, gallbladder surgery and anti-reflux surgery. He has over twenty years’ experience with endocrine surgery.
Having graduated from UQ in 1986, Dr Baxter undertook advanced surgical training in general surgery, based at the Royal Brisbane Hospital for nine years before moving to the UK and becoming a fellow in upper gastro-intestinal surgery, endocrine surgery, hepatic and pancreatic surgery. Dr Baxter established his private practice on the Sunshine Coast in 1999, where he remains a fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. As part of the private general surgical on-call roster he provides continuity of care to private patients on the Sunshine Coast. His rooms are located at The Sunshine Coast Private Hospital Medical Centre.
Brief Curriculum Vitae
- 1999 to presentPrivate upper gastrointestinal, bariatric and endocrine surgery practice on the Sunshine Coast.
- 2002-2012Chairperson for the Surgical Services Committee, Sunshine Coast Private Hospital.
- 1999- 2005Visiting Medical Officer. General Surgeon, Nambour General Hospital
- 1999 – 2002Younger Fellow Committee, Royal Australian College of Surgeons and representative of the QLD Branch, RACS.
- 1999Established private practice at The Sunshine Coast Private Hospital, Buderim.
- 1998Director of Surgery QEII Hospital, Brisbane.
- 1997Fellow in upper gastro-intestinal surgery, endocrine surgery, hepatic and pancreatic surgery, Royal Infirmary Hospital, Edinburgh.
- 1996Diploma in laparoscopic surgery–University of Strasbourg.
- 1996Senior Registrar at Royal United Hospital, Bath, UK, with training in endocrine and upper gastrointestinal surgery.
- 1989 – 95Advanced surgical training in general surgery, based at the Royal Brisbane Hospital.
- 1986 – 89Basic surgical training at Royal Brisbane Hospital.
- 1980 – 86University of Queensland, graduated MBBS 1986.
- *Australian Endocrine Surgeon Association
- *ANZGOSA-Australia and NZ gastro-oesophageal surgery Assoc.
- *OSSANZ-Obesity surgery society
- General Surgeon’s Australia (GSA)
The Sunshine Coast private Hospital Medical Centre
12 Elsa Wilson Road
Buderim QLD 4556